Living in comfort in the summer can be taken for granted, particularly until you feel a taste of uneasiness with an air conditioner breakdown. It can hit at the worst moments; you’re eating lunch and suddenly realize how warm your kitchen feels or you can’t fall asleep at night because you are so toasty wrapped in your covers. Think you’re feeling this discomfort? It might be the moment for an air conditioner replacement.
Usually, it isn’t the thermostat’s fault; the settings can be running correctly, but it still says that the temperature is beyond 80 degrees. It’s most often caused by an old or faulty air conditioner that requires a call to the professionals to find out what’s wrong. There are many explanations why air conditioners fail, especially bearing in mind the weather in Katy. Here are some things that you can examine for before you call Goode Bros AC & Heating if you think your air conditioner has quit working:
- Broken outdoor fan motor: There is a fan motor on your outdoor air conditioning system that helps move the heat from your home to the outdoors. If you examine your system and find that the fan isn’t functioning properly, it means that the heat relocation isn’t happening, causing the warm air to hang around in your home. This malfunction can also initiate overheating of the compressor and other possible internal harm to your system.
- Dirty filters: It’s one of the most common issues that Goode Bros AC & Heating sees. These unclean filters in your air conditioner decrease suitable airflow, affecting the air quality in your home, which is really difficult when allergy season hits. Filthy air filters can also lower the efficiency in your home and increase your monthly energy costs.
- Blocked air flow: Always look for an obstruction or blockage in your return-air or supply-air grille. This can initiate your air conditioner to waste efficiency and reduce speed.
TIP: Make sure the grilles aren’t hidden by furniture or other home items, also.
- Outside obstructions: Correct air flow could be also deterred from outside obstructions near your system, such as shrubbery, trees, lawn chairs, etc. When the air flow is deterred, it can affect it’s cooling abilities. Make sure that your system is uninhibited by obstacles and is cleaned regularly to reduce the chance of air conditioner replacement.
Once you’ve gone through these four system checks and your air conditioner still isn’t running, here are a list of questions and steps that you should inspect and answer to get your system up and running again. (Only move on to the next question if the system doesn’t switch on after doing the step before it):
- Is your thermostat temperature fixed below the indoor temperature?
- Is your system switch in the COOL setting?
- Is the outdoor unit power supply switch ON?
- Is the furnace/air handler power supply ON?
- Is your house fuse box/breaker box intact or has it blown a fuse or tripped a circuit breaker?
- If none of these things alter your system function, call Goode Bros AC & Heating at (833)-466-3322.
Don’t let an air conditioner breakdown or replacement keep you up at night. If you follow these tips and keep your system under routine maintenance, you should have you air conditioner working again in no time. Our team at Goode Bros AC & Heating in Katy is always here to assist – give us a call at (833)-466-3322.