According to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association, air ducts should be cleaned at least once every three to five years on average. Your home’s location, your pets and the lifetime of your air filters—along with many other factors—can influence this timeline. How can you know if it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? We’ve got some signs that you should keep an eye on.
Look for these clues:
1. When your vents are fully opened, do any have less airflow than others?
2. Can you hear noise other than your blower motor when you pay attention to the airflow?
3. Is there anything blocking your cold air return vent?
4. When you look inside with a flashlight, is there a buildup of debris or pet fur?
5. Have bugs or rodents fashioned a home in your ductwork?
6. Are your cold air returns layered with dust or pet hair?
7. Are your registers blowing out dust?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it might be time to contact Goode Bros AC & Heating in Longview about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
While professional cleanings are important, there are actions you can take to maintain your ducts and extend the time between professional visits.
Most importantly, schedule periodic HVAC maintenance with the professionals at Goode Bros AC & Heating. A regular inspection of your furnace in the fall and air conditioning unit in the spring will keep your HVAC system operating at peak performance. Inspecting your system regularly and replacing the air filter when required will also help keep your ducts clear.
Additional ways you can help care for your ducts:
• Seal air duct leaks that let debris in from areas such as your attic.
• Check your air filters often and put in new filters when necessary.
• Regularly dust and vacuum your rooms.
• Replace air duct insulation if it is in unsatisfactory or damp condition.
Keeping your ducts open will help you make sure the air in your Longview home is clean. Don’t forget to use these preventative steps and schedule a professional duct cleaning when needed. Call the experts at Goode Bros AC & Heating at 903-284-2612 or arrange an appointment online.